Inspired by http://forkinmyeye.com/2012/06/26/the-summer-country/.
I grabbed my camera and headed out for a walk tonight. My legs had a nice hill workout and my arms were lifting weights. As the sun was setting I felt like I was chasing the sun around the neighborhood. Hurricane clouds are so very cool. There are layers of clouds all moving at different speeds and sometimes different directions. I tried to take a video with my phone, but the speed of the lower clouds was still hard to appreciate.
My PSA for the week: It is always good to be prepared. Hurricane, flood, blizzard, earthquake, 2012, nuclear disaster…there are reasons to always have a few days supply of water, food and flashlights. Do not forget a plan for your family in case something happens when you are scattered out doing various activities (ex: work, school).
With Easter and Passover coming up, a lot of us are trying to figure out how to enjoy large family meals and stay close to our diets. My immediate family has become used to my odd habits. Many times I get asked if I can eat something as opposed to “here take this, it’s great”. When it is a larger gathering, there are usually several healthy options and it is up to me to keep the deserts and other things off of the plate. Everyone is there to enjoy the time together and catch up on everyone’s lives. Eating is secondary. Every family has its traditions and by all means you should take part. A few bites of Grandma’s famous _____, is OK. Do not feel guilty the rest of the day. The four glasses of wine at a Passover Seder meal…well enjoy. The important things are to celebrate the occasion and the family and friends that are gathered. That being said, here are some of my tricks. Please share your own.
- Take a dish of something that is on your diet with you. Not only can you enjoy it but there are likely other people there that will appreciate having a healthy option.
- Workout before you go. Today is actually National Walking Day. Do not depend on working out after the meal. You will be tired and it may be late. That is a dangerous combination that kills many plans to work out.
- Drink a couple glasses of water before you go or when you get there. I have heard that you should eat before going. However, I always feel like I am eating an extra meal. Like grocery shopping, it is not smart to show up starving.
To be healthy and feel strong you’ve got to move it…at least a little.
I love to exercise. That is, when I have a lot of time and energy. So, not very often. I almost always like it, even on the bad days. One thing I must have is variety. I get way to bored doing the same thing everyday. Here is a countdown of some exercises on my radar. I am always looking for new ideas.
What do you do to move it?
10. Run: I may run to the car in the rain, but nope, not even a little for workouts. (knee & hip pain)
9. Swim: Would love to, however, it is way too inconvenient right now so my laziness will never make it to a pool.
8. Bike: Used to love it. After a hip injury, it hurt too much. There may be hope for this one in the future.
7. Pilates dvd: Liked it for about a month. I ended up adapting almost every exercise on it to avoid pain.
6. Parkour: I used to free run all the time…..Ya right.